Microsoft Word 2013 Excels Over PowerPoint 2013!

MANILA: Note my title: Let me be the one to show you!

About PowerPoint, Boundless.com says, "PowerPoint is a quick and easy way to organize ideas and information, but can encourage the creation of presentations that lack substance" (boundless.com). No, if you are after organizing ideas and information, don't use PowerPoint; I tell you outlining in Word 2013 is much better. Yes, all PowerPoint presentations I have seen lack substance; they also fail to organize ideas and information for quick consumption. People think that creating great-looking tables, graphs and charts is the essence of PowerPoint presentations, with visual effects adding to the impact – and they are dead wrong.

Again, Boundless.com says, "PowerPoint is regarded as the most useful, accessible way to create and present visual aids." Yes, slides are good visual aids – but only if you know how to create proper visual aids. And I have yet to see someone using PowerPoint able to create good visual aids.

If you have to remember only 3 words that summarizes what PowerPoint does, these are:

Display Visual Aids.

Your genius is to dramatize each of those visual aids. PowerPoint does not do that for you.

Basic rule in any presentation: Each visual aid should have a single message that introduces it. And, combined, those messages must compose a single main message, which should be reflected in the title of your PowerPoint presentation.

For instance, a table is a visual aid and should have only one message and not the long, technical title! A basic rule in creating a message:

Each message should have 7 words max.

I call it the Rule of7 Words Max. That is a basic rule in advertising / marketing of consumer products, and that is the same rule you must use in advertising / marketing your ideas. Yes, with PowerPoint, you are trying to sell your ideas.

With that rule, your PowerPoint has already failed you – Microsoft Office 2013, or any Microsoft Office version for that matter, does not teach you the Rule of 7 Words Max. What you usually do is type a long title to a table, graft, chart, or body of text. Which PowerPoint does not discourage you from doing. That means that the brains behind PowerPoint have not appreciated this basic role of PowerPoint: Market ideas.

Yes, in my hands, Word 2013 is a whole lot better than PowerPoint 2013 in making visual aids that make up each presentation to market ideas.

In my hands, Word 2013 beats PowerPoint 2013 in its own game. In Word 2013, I'm teaching you now; it's the one I'm using to write this.

If you're using Microsoft Office 2013, or even if you are not, pay attention here. Yes, to make your slide presentations, instead of using PowerPoint 2013, you can automate Word 2013 for you to deliver your most powerful points, which PowerPoint has so far failed to do. Note now; in terms of presentations:

Word 2013 is creativity, PowerPoint 2013 barrenness.

That would be a preposterous claim if it were not made by a wizard and, yes, I am The Wizard of Word.

How can I not be The Wizard of Word when I am the world's most highly original, creative writer online (see my tag line in A Magazine Called Love, blogspot.com), and I have been using that app since 1987, starting with Microsoft Word, perhaps Version 3.

Now, Facebook-like, I ask you: Love it, not simply Like it, as I show you in a little while how when I wizarded Word 2013, unintentionally but happily I magicked PowerPoint 2013 simultaneously. That is, I didn't know I was killing 2 birds with 1 stone. With a wizarded Word 2013, now you have a great word processor that is a great slide presenter, which is what PowerPoint 2013 should be but is not.

A little of the magic is shown in the image above, which embeds the full-alphabet sentence that I invented (where you need my first name for the letter n), because I got tired of typing, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" because it had neither Text Appeal nor Sex Appeal. Note that in my sentence "Five puzzled boys watched six quiet girls kiss just me, Frank," each succeeding word is bigger in font size than the one before it, which is designed to catch your attention.

The point is this:

You must dramatize topics within a presentation.

The need is for each PowerPoint presentation to make a point every now and then, to catch the audience's attention with it.

That need in PowerPoint is now made moot and academic by my wizarded Word 2003, which is able to dramatize something, anything, many things, when you need to.

Count them now. Wizarded Word 2013 has 7 ways by which you can excel PowerPoint 2013 in making presentations, those powerful points made almost instantly as your audience look at the LCD/LED projected screen and you do any or all of these:

(1)     Type a word, press a key – and out comes a sentenceor phrase like the one above, formatted according to your desire.

(2)     Type a word, press a key – and out comes an image as you see above.

(3)     Type a word, press the Spacebar – and out comes instantly a sentence or phrase that catches your attention. It can also be a combination of any image, or images, and text formatted this way and that.

(4)     Format a chapter title of a book, change its color to red, click a line – and all the 20 or more chapters of that book change instantly to red as the one you're working on.

(5)     Format the letters of a chapter title of that book into a huge font, click a line – and all the 20 chapters can be seen to change instantly to that font size.

(6)     On the go, format the whole sentence or phrase – and the whole thing grows bigger and bigger right before your eyes.

(7)     On the go, select a word in a sentence or phrase – and format that word so that it will become bigger and bigger in size right in front of your audience.

To see is to believe. (If you want me to give you a free personal demo of all that, see the last paragraph below for instructions.)

The action and the result, and the instantaneity of both, are dramatic flourishes that will surely catch the attention of anyone, including the sleepyheads. That's the latest and major contribution of Word 2013 to the world of presentations, courtesy of The Wizard of Word.

This essay started as about Word 2013 but, as it turns out, it is about Word 2013 that has become more powerful than PowerPoint 2013 when it comes to presentations!

You use PowerPoint to sell ideas, not simply to present something you love or know very well. It is not for showing off your knowledge; it is for convincing others to believe in what you believe in.

Making a major point in Word 2013 or PowerPoint 2013 should be a trigger for the audience to await what you have with Great Expectations. Otherwise, you have failed them.

Right now, as I revise this again, I'm 250 km away from home. If you do not make your messages jump out of the screen once in a while, the members of your audience are like they are 251 km away from you! (As I finalize this, I am back home, and have revised it at least 9 times – a lesson for authors who wish to excel themselves.)

As the title to this essay, I wanted to use this: "How To Use Word 2013 And Excel PowerPoint 2013 In Presentations." Excel? Pun intended. But that's 11 words, 4 words too long for this essay about The Rule of 7 Words Max.

This is an essay for dummies, including authors of tutorial books for those 2 apps in the Office 2013 suite. Those dummies have not learned and/or have not taught anything that approximates the impact that The Five Puzzled Boys Sex Appeal makes, which I have created via Word 2013, which excels PowerPoint 2013 in what it does: making a point with power.

Reinventing Or Repurposing Word 2013

Believe it or not, I have transformed Word 2013 into a more powerful presentation app than PowerPoint 2013!

Indeed, I don't think any reinvention or repurposing of any application that at the same time alters another app has happened like what I have done. And no, I did not set out intending to reimagine Word 2013 or reinvent PowerPoint 2013, the latter which I use once in a blue moon, the first & last time being in 2011 to introduce my tutorial on Creattitudes, on being creative with an attitude like that in the Beatitudes! (If you wish, go check out this essay, "Frank A Hilario's American Chronicle essays, so far," 08 August 2012, A Magazine Called Love, blogspot.co.id; that's a list of 754 essays published in 6 years, from 2007. I have been very much more a high-volume author since then, writing at least 2,000 long essays in the last 4 years alone. Incidentally, or is it because that was when I started using Word 2013, which came out of course before that year.) I'm a very creative creature, that's all – I never stop trying to improve on the old.

Again, consider the image above. The text says, "Five puzzled boys watched six quiet girls kiss just me, Frank." You notice that the text in that complete sentence, which is made up of 11 words, grows bigger and bigger from the first to the last. I can do the same effect in 11 seconds, you better believe it.

In fact, I can enlarge all those 11 words in 7 seconds to an even bigger font size than the last one – right before your eyes, while 200 of you in the audience are looking at an LCD/LED projection. In the above image, the font I used is Xpressive, because I noticed that the 2nd part of the letter k looks like an extended kiss; the first word I formatted to font size 16, the last size 60. So we have here the Sex Appeal / Text Appeal of Word 2013.

I invented that five-puzzled-boys sentence probably in the early 1980s when I had yet to see a personal computer, just because "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" had no appeal to me whatsoever.

Actually, "Five puzzled boys watched six quiet girls kiss just me, Frank" is only a hintof what I can do with Word 2013 as a much better alternative to PowerPoint as a presentation app. You will be stunned when I do right before your eyes, with a hint of mischief, what I call The X-Rated Sex Appeal of Word 2013. My invention. To see is to believe! That I can do in 10 seconds flat, or 2. This is what I'm referring to in #7 in the list above. Sorry, I will not describe it here farther, further than that.

This essay is a lesson for the Microsoft Office fellows too, or the consultants-reviewers or book writers of those 2 apps of Office 2013. They have not discovered enough of the wonders of PowerPoint 2013 found in Word 2013!

It was only Tuesday, 04 October 2016, when I realized that I had reinvented Word 2013 and at the same time reimagined Publisher 2013. Actually, I did what I now call Text Appeal about 3 years ago, in a paid-for Creattitudes mentoring session of about 20 people.

Since the first PowerPoint presentation I saw I don't remember when, I have yet to see people, even learned professors from the academe, who know how to use PowerPoint following basic rules of marketing ideas to people, convincing people, or simply driving home some points.

Yes, here's my 2-in-1 inadvertent achievement on Microsoft Office 2013: As you have seen above, I have reinvented Word 2013 and reimagined PowerPoint 2013 both at the same time – the trick / technique / tool / tip I have come up with dramatizes a presentation in more ways than one.

Yes, here's my unofficial and unexpected announcement to the world via this essay with regard to Microsoft Office 2013:

I reinvented Word 2013 into PowerPoint 2013.

Now, in my hands, Word 2013 is an app that becomes more powerful than PowerPoint 2013 when it comes to presentations.

Now then, did you know that the single most important advice to remember in making any presentation such as via PowerPoint is this?

Jump-off messages should be 7 words max.

Like the ones below that you can find in this essay, aside from the title:

Word 2013 is creativity, PowerPoint 2013 barrenness.
You must dramatize topics within a presentation.
The Five Puzzled Boys Sex Appeal.

You must highlight it before you explain.
Hype your headline before you highlight it.
I reinvented Word 2013 into PowerPoint 2013.

And of course:
Jump-off messages should be 7 words max.

Can you remember that? (My son Jomar knows the 7 Words Rule and I didn't teach him. He's an Internet guru in marketing; it's in his book, VIRTUAL CAREERS; at least, read my essay on it, "Your Own 5 D's To PREPARE For A Virtual Career," 23 July 2016, Primate Change, blogspot.com.)

The 7-words max advice above, but not in my words, is from the British & great international marketing man David Ogilvy, that I learned in 1974 yet, or 42 years ago, when I was a copywriter for Pacifica Publicity Bureau in Makati City for Tony Zorilla, along with my good friend Orli Ochosa (may God bless his soul!) with Nonoy Gallardo as our Creative Director.

Your jump-off message, in any presentation, whether with PowerPoint 2013 or, now with Word 2013, you should follow in fashioning out Your 7 First Words, Your Middle 7 Words, and Your 7 Last Words. Or several Middle 7 Words.

I mean by jump-off message that which introduces to your audience the next body of text (or words) you are going to show (or say).

Now look up and count the number of words in the title: 7.

Since I am in the middle of my essay, I say my other Middle 7 Words and these are:

You must highlight it before you explain.
In more memorable words, it's this:

Highlight, focus, accent, accentuate, draw attention to, emphasize, spotlight, point up, call attention to, bring to light, headline it. Like I did earlier with "You must dramatize topics within a presentation."

Hype your headline before you highlight it.

How do you do that? Compress it in a few words before you expand it. It should be as memorable as much as possible. Well, like my title.

To work out your presentation in Word 2013, first know what is the essence of a PowerPoint presentation. The slide show is for presenting ideas after ideas, from a general statement to specific parts of that statement, such as the title of a book and its parts and chapters in each part. This whole essay you are reading is not perfect but it's an excellent example of how to work out your PowerPoint 2013 presentation in Word 2013.

Given all that, if only I could convince Microsoft Corp that I have multiplied the worth of Word 2013 in an as yet-unmeasured quantity as well as quality, I would be a millionaire.

Now, why should notMicrosoft pay me a million dollars for digging out the treasures that Word 2013 has (I'm not sure about Word 2010), of an indefinite quantity, an incalculable quality?

Here are the names I considered to rechristen Word 2013 as I have recognized its extra powers:

Wordaholic
Word Like A Charm
WordAble
Word Science
Word Hero
WordOs
Word You Believe?
Wordn't It Be Loverly
Wonderful Word
Worderful
BuzzWord

Finally, the one I loved at once when I conjured it:
Word Powers.

Not Word Power, singular, because that's a bland thing; in the phrase Word Powers, powers is both a noun and a verb, which is great. So, the complete new name for Word 2013 that I like is Word Powers 2017, as Word 2017 is as good as new and advanced by a year.

Word Powers 2017 enables you to do all those listed under the paragraph that begins with these words: "Wizarded Word 2013 has 7 ways."

As a noun, that power is not automatic; as a verb, that power you have to invoke. The reinvented Word powers you to do this and that and more, but you have to learn all those first.

04 October 2016: I must mark today as the day I reinvented Word Powers 2017 of Microsoft Office, adding several features that not only rivals but overpowers Microsoft Office's own PowerPoint presentation app. With me now, Word Powers 2017 becomes a presentation app.

Word and presentation app. Wap, in short. Wap, according to Merriam-Webster, means to pull or throw roughly, to beat, strike, blow in gusts. With my wizarded Word 2013, I have wapped PowerPoint 2013. The more popular one is that WAP is the acronym for Wireless Application Protocol, but never mind.

What you have read and seen in all of the above is this:

PowerPoint 2013 Magicked, Word 2013 Wizarded.

In other words, the hidden powers of Word 2013 as a much better alternative to PowerPoint 2013 have been awakened or conjured by The Wizard of Word. As I have wizarded it, Word 2013 is now a moveable feast of the eyes in terms of texts and images instead of PowerPoint 2013.

If you can't remember the messages embedded among all those 2,900 plus words I have written so far before this sentence, just remember this:

Five puzzled boys watched six quiet girls kiss just me, Frank.

What about the new Microsoft Office 2016?

Now Microsoft has Office 2016 with new features for those apps in the suite. Thus, PowerPoint 2016has an added Design assistant, which "when you write a bulleted process list on a slide... reacts by offering to turn your text into a SmartArt graphic to represent that process" (support.office.com). Welcome, but it still does notaddress the primary function of a presentation, which is to highlight your message, to drive your point home, to market an idea, to sell a process or product. Visual effects do not a presentation make.

Remember: Even your PowerPoint 2016 presentations, except the slide show and effects, are better off expressed in my Word Powers 2017 as they have Text Appeal / Sex Appeal.

I repeat:

Word 2013 as I have wizarded it into Word Powers 2017 excels over PowerPoint 2013 when it comes to presentations. Even as it turns out, over PowerPoint 2016. Beat that! Yes, I am speaking as The Wizard of Word.

09 October 2016. Excluding this & lines below: 3149 words

Starting right now, I'm offering a free demo of all that power of Word 2013, as discovered by me and which I am now leveraging into what I am calling Word Powers 2017. Your place not mine, that is, if you can arrange for an auditorium with an LCD/LED projector and invite 200 people to watch and listen for half a day. If you want more, you'll have to enroll in any of my 3 online mentoring classes: Creative Author, Creative Journ, Creative Desktop Publisher. For any age, Creative Authors is for would-be authors, or those finding hard being productive of new ideas and being prolific in output. Creative Journ is for correspondents, reporters, section editors, columnists, editorial writers and related journalists who are used to simply following a formula for writing that they learned in school, and who every now and then experience dryness. Creative Desktop Publisher is for those technical people who want to accelerate greatly the publication of their technical journals from say, 6 months to 6 weeks, who want to learn how to desktop publish a technical journal using the familiar Word 2013 app from beginning to end almost without sweat.
For details, email at frankahilario@gmail.com.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories: 100 Years Of The College Coop

Mar Roxas: Father Of The Philippine BPO Industry

Epal Power. Huwag Kang Magnakaw (English version)